Wednesday 11 February 2009

Rules Were Made To Be...

Bud

This is a picture I took recently on a rare day in Doha where there had just been some light rain. We only get a few days of it a year. I took advantage of the refreshed flowers and overcast light and this is one of the keepers from that roll.

If you start taking an interest in photography it will not be long before you start learning about all sorts of "rules". Rules like, never putting the subject in the centre. Rules like putting points of interest on intersections of "thirds". Rules like avoiding large patches of "dead" space in your frame. Some of these rules have merit and it is worth exploring them all but don't let them get in your way.

This picture breaks a lot of these so-called rules. It may not be a great photo in absolute terms but it is definitely one of the best I have shot in a small while. I can confidently make that judgement because I am learning to trust my eye. You should to. Until you can feel the "rightness" of a picture without being able to explain it in terms of rule and formula your work will lack soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment