Tuesday 12 October 2010

How To Make The Stars Align

Moonrise Over MIA Velvia

This is probably my most worked for and storied image. It was taken about the time of the summer solstace. This was the full moon closest to the solstace. I had been scouting the Corniche area and I had been examining different views of the museum, especially views that aligned the various faceted faces of it. Using a planetarium app on my iPad I worked out that the moonrise would very nearly align with a view of the museum that lined up nicely. I realised I would need to be ready because I would have less than a minute after moonrise to get a shot with the museum and the moon.

If you click through to my Flickr you can read a more full account. The only way to get pictures that have something extra is to do something extra in the preparation stage. In this case it was knowing where the moon would be and when. Another example might be arriving when the right light should be ready and recognising the seasons and weather in which light is best. Another might be scouting out areas where new things are being built or old things destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment