Saturday 9 January 2010

Know Your Equipment

Tilted CMU-Q

This is a picture that falls short of its potential because I didn't know my equipment well enough. I knew I would be using the one side of the frame for a "shift lens" effect.

What I failed to remember, however, is the softness this lens has in the edges and corners at wide apertures. Often this effect is unimportant because your main subject is in the centre. The top of this picture represents the outside edge of the uncropped frame and you will see that the top edges of the building and the slabs are very soft and fuzzy.

Since I knew I was going to be using the edge of the frame (the crop was planned) I should have stopped down to f8 or f11. As it is, I'm pretty sure I took this wide open at f3.5.

You can see it is not a depth of field or focus problem because the objects at all distances in the bottom half of the frame (nearer the centre of the uncropped frame) are all reasonably sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment