Thursday 22 January 2009

Death of Darwish

Death of Darwish

Easily a firm all-time favourite. Such a story of Doha. This building stood unmolested for many years until I drove by one day and a digger was smashing it down. It was a cool scene at night so I parked nearby and strolled over with camera and tripod. There were two guys standing there complete with chairs and tables who seem to be supervising. I asked permission and strarted shooting. I had trouble telling them it was for my own use, not for newspaper. Amateur photography is much more rare in this region where cameras are often viewed with suspicion. In the morning the building was just a pile of rubble.

This was taken with my 50mm prime which gave me enough speed (wide aperture) to capture the scene on 200 speed film without flash. The sky really was that vivid blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment